DC2009:Managing Database Projects
From MNTP Wiki
Community IT Innovators
Help clients in software selection projects
Work with associations primarily, donor management, fundraising
Democracy in Action (Salsa) as cheaper than CapWiz
The steps to choosing a database system:
- What are the requirements, what are they trying to accomplish with the database?
- What are the barriers to understanding this? Organizational, don’t know what you need! Do what you need to do to find out what you don’t know!
- Clearly define current business processes
- CiviCRM: Drupal based, need to find a developer who specializes
- Salesforce: commercial product, hosting, leader of cloud computing (customer doesn’t maintain infrastructure at all)
- eTapestry: Donor management focus, web-based database
- Neon: Online hosted database, non-profit focus, affordable, good for integration
- Association Management Systems vs. CRM: membership, trade, etc.
- Members Only (DC based)